Team members are dim when open items aren't estimated

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Hi! I am puting this monitor to great use! I like the feature where the team member dims when they don't have any open work. That comes in very handy. I also like how team members with work items without estimates show a plus "+" sign next to the totals. That is very helpful.

One thing I noticed though is that if someone only has open work items that don't have estimates, that team member dims. I think that the check to dim a team member is only looking at the open hours and not also the open items. The dimmed member looks something like this:

Bob           Done | Open
Backlog Items:   3 | 1
Work:          12h | 0h+
Time Available:      <0h

Would it be possible to not dim team members that have open items even if those items aren't estimated yet? It makes them look like they are done, but they aren't.

As a side note, it would also be cool if there was some kind of visual indicator that was more noticable than just the "+" sign when a team member hasn't entered their estimates. I don't know what that could be or what would look good. Maybe the little "+" pulsates or a little frowny face shows up next to their name or some scrolling text shows up that hurls insults at the team member like "Bob is lazy because he doesn't estimate his backlog items!" or something. Then again...this might not be a good idea. ;-)

Pedro, thanks again for your hard work. Your product is very helpful and fun to use in our team. Thank you!

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 9:54 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Hi Bebo, thanks for the compliments, and the well laid out feedback! I have implemented your request in the latest changeset in the trunk. The build is available at http://teamcity.codebetter.com/repository/download/bt88/7803:id/ScrumSprintMonitor+1.0.0.36157.zip. Please let me know if the result is adequate.

Thanks,

Pedro

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Looks great! The team members are showing up in full now. I really like the question mark. I think that is a better idea. Maybe that would look cool pulsating as well? I dunno. I like flashy things, but that might make the screen too busy. I suppose there shouldn't be a lot of team members with unestimated work items. That would be a signal that there are some project problems. I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks Pedro!

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Hi Pedro,

The team member rectangle displays correctly but I just noticed that the text is dim. Here is an example: http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5674/croppercapture4.png The top shows a team member with normal open items, the middle is a team member with no open items, and the bottom shows a team member with open items that are not estimated. I was thinking that the text should show up as white on the bottom team member just like the top team member. What do you think?

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.