This project is read-only.

Calculation error in "Time Available"?

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM
I pulled the code from changeset 22198 this morning and the "Time Available" calculation is different from a build that I took from changeset 22107. I can't figure out what is going on. It is almost double, but not quite. The other numbers appear to be the same between the two builds. Each team member's numbers are the same and the overall project numbers under the pie charts are the same. Just the "Time Available" and the "Ahead of/Behind schedule by" fields are off. I tried to add things up in different ways to see if some items were being double counted or something, but I can't quite figure it out. I'm using the same config and team files between the two. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Apr 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM
Could it be that it is still taking into account the times of the non-dedicated team members? When I changed the order of the calculations because of the sorting, I may have messed it up. I seriously need to start putting unit tests into place, to avoid situations like that in the future.
Apr 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Apr 17, 2009 at 8:16 PM
I just pulled code from changeset 22253 and the numbers match now so I think you squashed the bug. Thank you for your work! I really do appreciate. I'll try to keep an eye on our numbers just to make sure they still keep looking accurate.

I'm liking the colors as well! We are using two 17inch monitors. Since they aren't huge, but from a distance the colors can easily be seen. So even though we might not be able to see the text the colors give us a good overall picture of how the sprint is going. Then we can just walk closer to see the text for specifics. Good stuff!
Apr 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM
That seems to match our experience as well (although we are using a single 17" monitor on our site :-|). I agree that the progressive colors give a much better impression of the real state of the workload, and is much more intuitive, as you can see the colors progressively changing from top to bottom.

Thanks for your encouragement and feedback! Keep it coming!