This project is read-only.

Exclude team member from Time Available

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:11 PM
We finally have monitors up where everyone can see the sprint status. I need to post some screenshots! ;-)

I have a feature request. I would like to see the ability to remove a team member's time from the Time Available calculation for the project. I have a case where a person has one small item assigned to them, but they are actually not free to work on other items on the project. That one item is their only obligation. It appears that even if a person has one item in the sprint, all of their time is calculated for the project.

What do you think?
Apr 14, 2009 at 1:59 PM
I just thought of something this morning. I could mark a particular team member as working from 8am to 8am. That should effectively make him not add anytime to the Time Available calculation.
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Apr 15, 2009 at 12:18 AM
Bebo,

I have implemented this functionality, along with support for nicknames in the latest version in the Source Code. Are you able to compile it and let me know if it does what you intended? I have the same issue in my team (where the Software Configuration Engineer has some tasks, but is not a developer), and this seemed to work correctly for that situation. I am only counting enough time for the person to do the task. It will have lesser priority in the right hand stack of team members, unless we are approaching the end of the sprint and the person doesn't have enough time to finish his item.

Hope this helps,
Pedro
Apr 15, 2009 at 2:30 PM
Dude, you are awesome! I just pulled the tip, build it, and installed it on our dedicated Sprint Monitor pc. Both the "dedicated-to-sprint" and "display-alias" are working great. This is exactly what I was looking for! Excellent work! Thank you!
Apr 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM
I have hit an unforseen problem. When a team-member is dedicated-to-sprint="false" their "Hours available" match their "Open Work". That part is cool. What happens though is that their little box shows up as yellow. I have people asking me why they are yellow and freaking out (well...not actually...you get the idea ;-). They don't like their names showing up in yellow when they actually have enough time to complete their task. It makes them feel like they aren't on target or falling behind even when they are not.

So...I'm not sure what a good solution would be. I wonder if it would be possible to have team members who are not dedicated to the sprint show up as green since they will always have the same assigned hours and remaining hours until they get to the end of the sprint? What do you think?
Apr 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM
Right now I'm using yellow if the ratio between work/time available is between ]95%, 105%[. One possibility is for me to change the logic so that it only becomes yellow if it is within ]100%, 105%[. Since these members are at 100% most of the time, they would still show as green. What do you think?
Apr 15, 2009 at 8:56 PM
I like that idea. That would solve the problem and there wouldn't have to be any special case code in the display logic.
Those percentages might be good candidates for inclusion in the settings file too.
Apr 15, 2009 at 9:14 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Right, I had that same idea. If WPF had a color chooser readily available, I might even allow the user to configure the colors.

I'm torn between using the SprintConfiguration.txt file (which is shared), or using the local settings file (which is not). It sounds like a good idea for all non co-located teams in the project to use the same colors.
Jul 1, 2009 at 3:03 AM

What is the format for specifying "dedicated-to-sprint" in the Team-info.xml?

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

That is a boolean, so just use true or false.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Ah, the problem was that I had an outdated team-info.xsd file in the directory alongside the .scr.  Not sure why it wasn't updated, but when I replaced it with the latest it all worked!