Thoughts on handling FreeBusy errors

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM
I had a case where a COMException was thrown (Unable to load free/busy information) when recipient.FreeBusy was called (line 81 in TeamMemberOutlookFreeBusyInfo.cs). The exception is handled, but ultimately it makes that members free time show up as 0. So that member shows up as Red because they have no free time.

I also noticed that if the member is not found via GetRecipient (line 129 in TeamMemberOutlookFreeBusyInfo.cs) the member is given the full amount of free time. Basically the code assumes he or she doesn't have any meetings so all of their time is free.

This brings up the question. Which is better? When an error occurs while trying to get FreeBusy time for a member, should the program assume they have no free time or have all their free time?

I'm not sure which is best. Either way, I think it should be consistent for all errors one way or the other. What do you think?
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2009 at 10:53 AM
Edited Apr 9, 2009 at 10:42 AM
Interesting that you point this out. I had just today created two feature requests which should address your problem. One is to be able to create an alias for each team member, for the case where the name of a person in TFS does not match his/her name in Outlook. The other is to be able to turn off Outlook integration (mostly for testing/setup purposes). Look out for these additions in the near future.
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:17 PM
I will also make the behavior coherent, through a property that basically tells whether the time available includes free/busy information or not. That will be visible in the UI, through some glyph.
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2009 at 9:03 AM
Bebo, I have addressed this issue in changeset 21201, by adding the symbol to the hours available, meaning that the person has at most x hours available (because no free/busy information was gathered). If you can, please let me know if this adressed the issue you were having.
Apr 6, 2009 at 12:49 PM
Excellent! I'll try to give it a try today.