This project is read-only.

Help with configuration files

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:35 PM
A user recently contacted me through my blog, and asked me some interesting questions regarding the config files. I thought they would be of interest to everyoneeee, so I'm taking the liberty of posting the conversation here:

"Hello,

Thanks for your help but no way.It does not work. Here is what I have (BuildDefinition Name is correct and I understand that I have to include before and after <> as it is).

ProjectName=Portal Builder
ProcessTemplateName=Scrum for Team System
IterationId= 423
BuildDefinitionName= <CI Build Main>
SprintStartDate= 2009-16-3 10:00:00 -6:00
SprintEndDate= 2009-27-3 17:00:00 -6:00

However, I'm not sure of how exactly to configure correct the XML members file. Could you please send me an example with a couple of member and this configuration:

Office working hours:

monday to thursday: From 9 to 14 and from 15 to 18:30 (lunch from 14 to 15)

friday: From 8 to 15h (no lunch)

Time zone: GMT+1

Productivity factor, what is it ?

A couple of names:

Antonio Hernandez

Pascual Duarte

Best,

Carlos."

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Hello Carlos,

Here is the corrected Sprint Configuration.txt:

IterationId= 423
BuildDefinitionName= CI Build Main
SprintStartDate= 2009-3-16 10:00:00 -6:00
SprintEndDate= 2009-3-27 17:00:00 -6:00

With the latest build, you can replace IterationId with IterationPath. That makes it much easier to input the name of the sprint (which must match the one in TFS). Also notice the parameters do not take the angle brackets <>.

As for the team-info.xml, unfortunately it does not currently support different hours for each weekday, although the ITeamMemberInformation interface does support that. You could easily hardcode that into the implementation of ITeamMemberInformation, for the time being. Another way to handle it is to not set any lunch hour, and instead schedule lunch hours into Outlook. That will make the tool deduct those hours correctly from the sprint.

The productivity factor represents the factor I will apply to the sprint remaining hours. Some teams find they can only get an average of 6 daily hours of productive work in a 8 hour day. That would be represented by 6/8=0.75:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<team-members>

<team-member name="&lt;Unassigned&gt;" unassigned="true">

<time-zone>Romance Standard Time</time-zone>

<hourly-productivity-factor>0.75</hourly-productivity-factor>

<workday>

<start>09:00:00</start>

<end>18:30:00</end>

</workday>

<lunch>

<start>14:00:00</start>

<end>15:00:00</end>

</lunch>

</team-member>

<!-- Spanish Team -->

<team-member name="Antonio Hernandez">

</team-member>

<team-member name="Pascual Duarte">

</team-member>

<!-- Central America Team -->

<team-member name="…">

<time-zone>Central America Standard Time</time-zone>

</team-member>

</team-members>

One thing to notice is that you don’t need to repeat the same data for each team member. The parser will take the previous team member’s data as the default.

Best regards,

Pedro

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM
Edited Apr 1, 2009 at 11:49 PM
The name for the team member (<team-member name="...">) is the name that appears in the "Assigned To" field in a work item of the project you're tracking in TFS.
Apr 1, 2009 at 11:48 PM
Time zone IDs (<time-zone>) can be found using regedit.exe under key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones". The value used is the sub-key name.
Apr 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM
Someone posted a nice introduction to the setup of Sprint Monitor at http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/srlteam/archive/2009/04/02/codeplex-scrum-sprint-monitor-for-team-system.aspx. I hope to be able to write a setup guide sometime soon. In the meantime, it is great to see people in the community picking up the slack. Thanks!
Apr 3, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Hello,

No way, no way to work :(  

It does not work for me and I have tryied everything. After filling the three parameters (servername, configurationfile, and memberfile), nothing happens. Also, for the server name, I have tryied to use the URL as it needs to be entered in Team Explorer (for example http://servername:8080), but same result. Next time I open the .scr file, then application crashes. In different comupters (alkl with Team Explorer 2008), I get different errors. In my PC, when I go into the exception opening VS 2008 as a debugger, it says (translated from Spanish)

One error: The value from the attribute 'Property' can not be converted in an object type 'System.Windows.DependencyProperty'.  Error in the marked file  'ScrumSprintMonitor.Wpf.Application;component/views/mainwindow/mainwindowusercontrol.xaml'.

Onother error I get some times: DependencyProperty o PropertyInfo can not be found for the property name 'StringFormat'. Error in the object 'System.Windows.Data.Binding' in the file 'ScrumSprintMonitor.Wpf.Application;component/views/monitorwindow/singlemonitorwindowusercontrol.xaml'.

I have spent hours and hours and nothing. Also, trying to do it in some other computers, and also nothing. I always get an exception.

'Configuration file

IterationId= 423
BuildDefinitionName= <CI Build Main>
SprintStartDate= 2009-16-3 10:00:00 -6:00
SprintEndDate= 2009-27-3 17:00:00 -6:00

'member xml file - using exactly yours, but changing one name 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

- <team-members>
- <team-member name="<Unassigned>" unassigned="true">
  <time-zone>Eastern Standard Time</time-zone>
- <workday>
  <start>08:00:00</start>
  <end>17:00:00</end>
  </workday>
- <lunch>
  <start>11:30:00</start>
  <end>12:30:00</end>
  </lunch>
  </team-member>
- <team-member name="Antonio Pascual Duarte">
  <time-zone>GMT Standard Time</time-zone>
- <workday>
  <end>18:00:00</end>
  </workday>
- <lunch>
  <start>12:00:00</start>
  <end>12:30:00</end>
  </lunch>
  </team-member>
  </team-members>

I hope you can fix whatever it is. Your application looks interesting and that's because I had give it a try but as you can see, it is a hell to make it work.

Best,

Carlos.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM
I am sorry it is not working for you yet, Carlos. I have never seen those errors before. Do you have the prerequisites installed (especially .NET 3.5 SP1)? Also, where are you installing from? Please try both the .rar file and the ClickOnce installation available in the project home page (near the bottom of the page).

I also noticed you have the build name as "<CI Build Main>". Do the angle brackets <> belong to the name, or is the build name just "CI Build Main"? The application does not need the angle brackets in the name.

Since you mentioned you opened the application in the debugger, can you send me the content of the output window? Hopefully, those DependencyObject exceptions are caused by some inner exception that is listed in the Output window.

Regards,
Pedro
Apr 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM
Hello,

The brackets were not really in my file. I included an old one by mistake.

I have done a step forward ! I have done a Windows Update, installing everything and maybe the main problemas was that the Sp1 was needed for .net 3.5.

However, still does not work. What I get now is a black windows with a big text in the midle that says "Data not available yet ...". I wait a few minutes and nothing happens. Also. if I want to return to Windows, I need to do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and kill de process.

Then, I have tryied to use the click-one installation with the same result.

Any idea please ?

Again, here you have exactly the files I use:

'CONFIG

IterationId= 431
'IterationPath= <Iteration Path>
BuildDefinitionName= CI Build Main
SprintStartDate= 2009-3-30 10:00:00 -6:00
SprintEndDate= 2009-4-09 17:00:00 -6:00

'MEMBERS

<time-zone>Romance Standard Time</time-zone>

<hourly-productivity-factor>0.75</hourly-productivity-factor>

<workday>

<end>18:00:00</end>

</workday>

<lunch>

<start>14:00:00</start>

<end>15:00:00</end>

</lunch>

</team-member>

<team-member name="Antonio Pascualero Sánchez">

</team-member>

</team-members>

Best regards,

Carlos.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:10 AM
Carlos, if the "Data not available"text does not go away, this must mean that MonitorViewModel.EnsureConnected() is not successful, and the field tfsData is null. Can you compile the latest source code, and check if you see any exception being logged in the Output window? If no exception shows up, perhaps put a breakpoint in EnsureConnected and follow that code.

Thanks,
Pedro
Apr 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM
Hello,

Unfornunally, I can't.

I'm the product owner and I just have general technical knowledge but not enough to quicly debug your application . Also, I can't  tell somebody of our team to spent time doing so, since at this moment they have other priorities.

Thanks for your help anyway. I migh try your application in a few months, it migh be more stable by then.

Best,

CArlos.