feature suggestions

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:43 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Awesome tool. I used to use Telerik's WIM, but without access to source code or any customizability it wasn't proving very useful. This one, however, shines on both counts.

Couple feature suggestions:

1. When a team member is not found in the TeamMemberList (inside CreateTeamMember) return null instead of throwing. This allows me to restrict which team members I show through the team.xml file. Why do I want to do this? I don't, for instance, want to show PM work items or bugs -- I'm primarily interested in showing dev/test. Or I, as the dev lead, want a display outside my office that shows only the status of my devs. With this simple change I can do that. (I've already done this on my local version of the sourcecode.)

2. Integrate http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/alt-releaseburndown style reporting for the burndown. This would be much more useful than what's shown right now. I haven't tried tackling that yet.

3. Allow slideshow reporting of multiple iteration paths. This would allow a single display for multiple scrum teams.

4. Allow more flexibility in choosing what WI types get included in the report. Looking at "TeamMembersListViewModel.cs:596" you're selecting only SprintBacklogItems. What if I want to include bugs? Suggest modifying IWorkItemAdapter to have a "ShouldIncludeInSprint" property -- will be more flexible. Also a change I've made on my local copy. (Update: there's actually a few places in code where you do w.Type == WorkItemType.SprintBacklogItem -- that really ought to be up to the process adapter to decide. (I suppose I could just make the WorkItemAdapter return SprintBacklogItem for a Bug... but that seems more like a hack than a by-intent workaround.)

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I'm glad the tool is still finding new users, and proving useful. Here are my thoughts:

1. This is a no-brainer. I just hadn't implemented it like that because I haven't come across that need before.

2. This could be interesting, probably as a configurable preference. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make the Silverlight Toolkit charts look like that.

3. I have had this request before, but I am always torn between implementing it or leaving the original intent there, which is that anyone can glance at any moment at the monitor and be sure to know what the project status is, without having to wait or second guessing what is on the screen.

4. Yeah, that would be my first suggestion (return SprintBacklogItem from the WI adaptor). I imagine the reason you want this is because in your process, you don't create SBIs for bugs, and would therefore want to use bugs as SBIs. If that is the case, I don't really see that as a hack, because it is mirroring your intent. Let me know if I got it wrong. 

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Aug 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Thanks for the response! added some comments to the WI. Btw you know your documentation links are broken... :)

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Yeah, I had some problems with my blog (where the docs were hosted) and I'm convincing myself to go through the restore procedure for it :-)