Using project collections

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I've downloaded the changeset 52642 that includes support for project collections, but I am unable to get this to work. I've found the solution file and rebuilt everything, but the screen saver fails to run. I get an exception each time.

Has anyone else been able to get this changeset to work?  Or will a new stable version be coming soon that I can wait for?

Anthony

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 10:09 PM
Edited Sep 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Hi Anthony,

I just published a new version. Please let me know if you find any issues.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Thanks, the new version works great. Once I added the team members it started working.

Couple of questions though, and you may already have this documented somewhere so if you can point to that it would be great.

We are using the MS Agile template. Which work items are you using for your Backlog and Work charts? Also, how are you determining what is ready for test since in the agile template there is no stat for this? As well as what is in the Not Done category. I know my team will ask where the numbers are coming from and I want to be able to give them an answer.

For the team member charts on the side, how are these sorted? Is there any way to change the sort order?

Thanks,

Anthony

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM

For the backlog, I am using Bugs and User Stories. For work, I am using Tasks.

Regarding the Ready for Test and Not Done states, the fact is that out-of-the-box, MSF for Agile, Microsoft Visual Studio Scrum 1.0 and Conchango V3 are somewhat limited in the states they can hold, so I have to make do with whatever is in each specific template. For my personal case, I opted to add a field for determining Actual Work Done in our projects, hence creating the "Scrum for Team System v2 (FARO)" process template adaptor. This allows us to visualize that data in the Sprint Monitor.

On your question about the Ready for Test state, I am looking for the "Closed" state. Anything that is marked as closed will be counted as ready for test. Anything that is Active but with zero hours done will be counted as Not Done. If there is any value higher than zero on the CompletedWork field, it will be counted as In Progress. This is not the ideal scenario, but the fact of the matter is that these process templates are not that rich in information to start with. For that reason, I have chosen Conchango V2 for my own needs.

The best place for you to get the answers to any questions you may have regarding the interpretation of the work items regarding that template is to just look at the source code in $\src\app\ScrumSprintMonitor.Implementation.TFS\TemplateAdaptors\MsfAgileWorkItemAdapter.cs. That small file contains all the translations done between TFS and what SSM consumes, and should be pretty easy to follow.

Hope this helps,
Pedro

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Thanks for the clarifications. The utility looks great.

Just my last question remains: For the team member charts on the side, how are these sorted? Is there any way to change the sort order?

Also, is there a way have it not show that information?

Thanks,

Anthony

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2010 at 9:41 PM

They are sorted so that the team members who are most likely to miss their deadlines appear first (workload / available time). This is the first time I have gotten a request to change the sorting. If you have any special need for this, you could easily change the formula for the sorting by changing the Comparer class implementation in $\src\app\ScrumSprintMonitor.Modules.WorkItemMonitor\ViewModels\TeamMembersListViewModel.cs.

Regarding not showing the information, you could easily hide those elements in the XAML itself. In the future, I could add an option in the configuration for that purpose.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM

No, I think your sort order is ok. I thought that is what it was.

I think an option to hide the team member charts could be useful.

Thanks,

Anthony