Resolving Tfs Servers and Projects

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I poked around an noticed that in ConfigurationViewModel.cs PopulateTfsServerNamesList it runs a loop from version = 8 and increments from there. In my case, I had older versions of TFS Team Explorer settings in my registry  that weren't used anymore. Because of that, it would pull the old projects I used to connect to from version = 8 but would not pull in the new projects from my TFS 2010 settings.

I was wondering...would it make more sense to attempt to read the settings from the newest version first? Also, instead of stopping as soon as at least one project is found, continue through the version settings to see if there are anymore. I suppose that would have difficulties itself because there could be duplicates from one version to another.

For my case right now, I changed the code to start at version 10, then it pulled the current settings for TFS 2010.

Just thinking as I type. ;-) What do you think?

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM

The reasoning for walking up the versions is that you might install Visual Studio 2010 just to play around, but not have set up any bindings yet, and in that case you would want to keep using the current version.

I guess the problem you ran into was caused by Visual Studio setup not getting rid of older bindings in the registry that weren't used anymore. I will take a look at that code and see if there is anyway we could merge different versions together.

Coordinator
Sep 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Can you try just removing the "break" statement in that loop and see if it works as expected for each TFS project binding?

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Removing the "break;" seems to do the right thing for me.

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.