Open work hours

May 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM

We have an issue that I'm trying to figure out. Our "Time Available" values for the sprint and for each team member are correct and they all take Outlook free/busy information into consideration. However, the "Work" value in the "Open" column for each team member appears to be using a calculation that is something simlar to: SBI hours assigned + (Sprint "Time Available" / Number of Team members).  It's likely more complex, but in our situation that is what the numbers work out to be. The result is that the Open Work hours do not appear to be taking Outlook free/busy information into consideration. All team members get the same chunk of hours added to the number of hours that they have assigned.

For example, we have a team member that will be out for a week of the sprint and her Outlook info reflects that. The Sprint Monitor also recognizes that and takes the hours our of her individual Time Available. However, she seems to get the same share of Unassigned Work added to her Open Work hours as everyone else in the sprint. This seems like an issue that was introduced around the time the Parallel extensions were implemented in the RedistributeUnassignedWorkItems in Sprint.cs

I'm not sure if these changes are by design, but I thought I'd see if anyone else is having this problem. We don't assign all of our work at the start of the sprint. We let team members pull work as we go and I know that is different than the way that some teams use the tool.

Coordinator
May 17, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Hi pgaulthier,

Thanks for your insightful comment. I will definitely take a look at the issue.

Regards,

Pedro

Coordinator
May 17, 2010 at 9:45 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Hi pgaulthier,

I checked in a fix for the problem you mentioned, where the unassigned work is now distributed proportionately to each team member's available time. Do you think you could compile the latest and give it a try to see if the numbers make sense?

Thanks,

Pedro

May 19, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Pedro,

I applied the fix and it seems to be working properly now. I know that I've mentioned it before, but I want to thank you again for this great tool and your continued willingness to provide first class support for it. 

On a side note, with some very minor modifications to the VSTS template adaptor, we were able to get it working with an MSF Agile 5.0 based team project on TFS 2010. It works great.

Thanks,

Paul

Coordinator
May 19, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Hi Paul ,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think you could send/post those changes, so I could make it part of the distribution?

Regards,

Pedro

May 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Certainly. I emailed them to you.

Thanks,

Paul